Tuesday 6 April 2010

Unlink to LinkedIn

I have previously encountered this 'Thing' on Facebook when looking for people, as some links to the profiles of similarly named people appear at the bottom of the screen. I have to say that while I was quite happy to browse this facility, I didn't like the fact that I would actually have to join myself. The main thing that I hate about the internet is the amount of information that people can find out about each other, which those being searched can have little control over, despite setting every privacy setting as high as it will allow(which I have done subsequent to setting up my LinkedIn account). I can see that this would be a good way of checking people and their professional experience, despite the fact that is seems rather cold and uninviting to look at. It was, however, simple to use and I was able to find lots of people from Oxford (mostly students!) so it is useful for further networking as well. My lovely Easter weekend hostess is on there and is a fan, as we established when discussing the merits of the LinkedIn. This is much more for professional development and discussion than Facebook, and as such, probably works well as there is not a lot to distract the user. All in all, this is probably a good 'Thing' for some, but not one that I will be using.

No comments:

Post a Comment